The Yoga for Grief group is offered several times during the year, and limit the number of participants to 8–10 so that sharing time is open for all to speak and be heard. The goals of the group are to:
- Release pain and tension caused by grief and stress.
- Boost their immune system and reverse the effects of the fight-or-flight stress response.
- Calm the seemingly endless cycle of painful and negative thoughts that are common after the death of a loved one.
- Reconstruct the shattered self image and redefine their life after the loss.
- Teach the reader to cope with life without their loved one.
- Develop compassion for self and all beings, perhaps the most important task of healing.
I designed this special yoga for grief group to help you mindfully engage with the “grief-work” while healing your body from the stressful effects of bereavement. This group is open to people who have experienced the death of a loved one or those who are care-giving for a person with a terminal diagnosis.
Each class will begin with a check-in and centering. You will then be led through gentle yoga designed for the grieving body. After a period of deep relaxation there will be time for you to journal. Some weeks a guided exercise will be provided, along with optional home practice. You are invited to come as you are, and will be allowed to move at your own pace through the physical practice and emotional work as well.
A key element of grief-work is reconstructing yourself after the loss. Yoga, meditation, and journaling will help you move forward through your experience of loss while creating a continuing bond with the person you will always love.
You do not need any yoga or fitness experience, and you will be invited to move at your own pace, both physically and emotionally, and have the opportunity to share your story while being witnessed by compassionate group members. All spiritual beliefs are welcome and respected.
The group includes:
- Weekly class featuring yoga, meditation, journaling and compassionate discussion.
- Heather’s Audio CD for home practice
Please call me at 240–446-3030 to find out about upcoming grief groups.
I am available to facilitate this class for conferences or in other professional venues. Please contact me if your organization, yoga studio, hospice or grief counseling center would like to discuss integrating Yoga for Grief with your current offerings.